Friday 11 May 2018

Starling Nest - an update

I first blogged about the Starling nest on the side of my house back in April (see post here). At the time there were just 3 eggs in the nest. Another 2 eggs were laid over the next few days, and incubation began on April 18th.

5 eggs

I left the nest alone for the next couple of weeks, until I started to see and hear more activity, indicating that the eggs had hatched. This year, this happened on 1st May, exactly 2 weeks after incubation began. 5 young birds hatched. Unfortunately 1 appeared to die quite quickly afterwards, leaving the parents with 4 hungry chicks to feed. 


The parents did a brilliant job, and just a week later 4 birds had grown enough to be ringed.

8th May 2018

I had a quick check again tonight to find some well feathered chicks getting ready to fledge over the next few days.

11th May 2018

The results of this nest will be reported to the BTO's Nestbox Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment