Thursday 26 April 2018

Linacre Nestboxes 2018 - The First Visit

The Spring so far has been colder than normal and wet. As a result I wasn't expecting too much when I went to Linacre tonight for my first check of the nestboxes. Unfortunately, my initial thoughts were correct with just 14 boxes containing complete nests and the first few eggs (either Blue or Great Tits) There were, however, another 30 boxes containing the start of nests, so the final total my increase. All results will be sent off the BTO's Nest Record Scheme.

First nest and 2 eggs

Whilst walking around the reservoirs I also heard my first Linacre Willow Warbler of 2018, along with 1 singing Chiffchaff, 1 singing Blackcap, and a lovely flock of approximately 40 Swallows and 2 House Martins (also first 2018 Linacre record) feeding low over the top reservoir. A nice surprise was a "buzzing" Lesser Redpoll by the top reservoir, the first 2018 record.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Peter. I'm sure the weather hasn't helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the weather's really not helping at all!!

    ReplyDelete