Saturday 7 January 2017

Linacre - 7th January 2017

Today was my first walk around all 3 reservoirs at Linacre for 2017. I arrived at 7.45am, just as it was getting light, and spent 2 hours on site. The temperature was 5 degrees, and it was dry, bright and still. During the walk, I added 4 new species to the "year list".

I started off on the bottom reservoir where the first of 90 Mallards were seen. Tufted Ducks were also present, and I managed to spot 29 in total. The first of 3 Grey Wagtails was present here, as were 2 Grey Herons, and the first of 64 Black-headed Gulls. Other water birds seen around the site today were: Coot (5), Moorhen (10), Little Grebe (3, 1 on each reservoir), Mandarin Duck (40) and Great-crested Grebe (1 on the top reservoir).

Great-crested Grebe

The woodland birds were in good voice this morning with Wren, Robin, Coal, Great and Blue Tit heard singing. Nuthatch were also heard calling, and Siskin were heard flying over. I took some sunflower hearts with me today, and a Robin (possibly the one that I'd photographed last year as it was in the same spot by the top reservoir), came down to grab a few, so I grabbed a few more photos!

Robin

Year List update:
43 – Pheasant
44 – Nuthatch
45 – Great-crested Grebe
46 - Siskin

No comments:

Post a Comment