Monday 18 May 2015

House Sparrow ringing

I've had a House Sparrow terrace nestbox on the side of my house for several years, but have had very little success in attracting birds into it. This year, however, I noticed a pair of birds enetering the box and decied to check the contents.

I looked in last week and saw a couple of  naked and blind chicks. I decided to leave them for another week, and checked them again yesterday to see if they were big enough to ring. Luckily they were, so I ringed them with Ray from the Sorby Breck Ringing Group. These are the first House Sparrows I've ringed in my graden, and I'm looking forward to recording them on the feeders in the near future!

House Sparrow pullus (complete with yellow gape)

The records have been added to the BTO's Nestbox Challenge website.

No comments:

Post a Comment